Volunteer Profile - Tony King
Five big reasons to be a Meals on Wheels volunteer:
- People out there need us.
- Perhaps I’m a little greedy, I might need the service myself one day!
- To keep active - it’s a social outlet.
- To meet a lot of nice people.
- There is a need for more volunteers. It would be a better system if more people were on the roster.
Read on if you want to hear more of Tony King’s story.
“People who retire and sit on the verandah usually don’t do it for very long.” Tony didn’t want to do this. He wanted to get out, keep active and have a social outlet. Meals on Wheels ticked these boxes. Tony joined 21 years ago, becoming part of the board at the same time. From his farming and truck driving background, with no formal training, Tony’s interests in ‘making sure that things add up’ has given him the ability to fulfil the role of secretary/treasurer in recent years. Prior to this he has been president and vice president for Meals on Wheels, as well as treasurer in other organisations.
There is nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain by being a volunteer.
Call Meals on Wheels today to find out more.