Staying Warm this Winter
08th Jun 2022
Here are some tips to assist the elderly to stay warm this winter.
- Ensuring their home is well insulated to retain the heat and draft proofing doors and windows.
- Providing warm beverages such as tea/coffee or a cup of Milo or Soup.
- Warming the bed with an electric blanket, or by layering blankets rather than using just one heavy blanket or doona.
- Dressing in layers rather than heavy clothing, and starting with basic thermals such as a vest.
- Trying to get your loved one to move around, rather than sitting all the time.
- Supplying a wheat pack, or back/hand warmer which can heated quickly in the microwave.
- Eating well, for eg. hearty soups which contain nutrients required to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Ensuring your loved one has their flu vaccination before winter, as flu can progress to pneumonia.
Let Inverell Meals on Wheels help you. By delivering nutritious meals, social interaction and a friendly check of a client’s wellbeing, we help people live the lives they choose.