Recipe - Upside-Down Cake
06th Apr 2022
They should call this ‘Joy’ cake as that is what you feel when you first try it. Serve with custard for the perfect dessert.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooktime: 60 minutes
- 165g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 150ml milk
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 375g sliced or chopped fruit, drained well
- 500ml custard to serve
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 165°C (175°C for conventional oven).
- Grease a baking tray and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour and milk and stir until combined to a smooth texture. Set aside.
- To make the topping mix, place butter into a saucepan over medium heat. As the butter melts, add sugar and stir gently to combine until all sugar has fully dissolved.
- Pour into the prepared tray, and arrange fruit over the caramel mixture, pressing the fruit down into caramel.
- Spoon the cake mixture over the fruit, and smooth over the top surface.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with custard.