Recipe - Shakshuka
30th Jun 2021
This one-pan dish makes for a hearty meal, any time of day.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooktime: 25 minutes
- 2 x 400g tins diced tomato
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 x 400g tin cannelini beans, drained
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Drizzle olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 – 7 mins until onion just starts to soften and take on colour.
- Add tomatoes and beans to onion and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 – 15 minutes until thickened. Thinly slice kale leaves.
- Increase heat to medium-low and add kale to skillet with tomato mixture. Stir for a minute or two until kale is wilted. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make four indentations in the tomato mixture with a spoon. Carefully crack an egg into each cavity. Cover pan and cook 6-8 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Divide rice onto four plates. Spoon tomato sauce and eggs over rice, sprinkle with Parmesan, if using.